Gargame l-10 Things You Didn’t Know about Gargamel
And I thought I had problems. In any event, there’s little debate concerning the fact that Gargamel hates the Smurfs. He does hate them, and he hates them a lot. Here are 10 facts you may not have known about the insidious foe of the Smurfs.
Gargamel first appeared in 1959, in Smurfs issue #9, “The Smurfnapper.” At the time, Smurfs had only been around for a year.
- The wicked voice of Gargamel, as we know him best, was provided by a most unlikely source — beloved ventriloquist Paul Winchell, according to IMDb. Between the late 1940s and the mid 1960s, it is said that his dummy was more famous than he was. Unlike most ventriloquists, Winchell was likable and did interesting things — for one, he voiced both Tigger (Winnie the Pooh’s pal) and Gargamel, and was also an avid inventor.
- While poor Smurfette’s possibly exhausting role as the lone female Smurf has oft been hotly debated, the mystery of this statistical anomaly is not so mysterious once you get down to it. In fact, Gargamel created her in his lab, using sugar, spice, “and nothing nice,” according to bluebuddies.com. His intention was to use her to make the Smurfs, whom he hates, miserable.
- Gargamel is so hip, he influences pop music — in fact, there is a band out of Orlando, Florida, called Gargamel! (the exclamation point is part of the name) in which lead singer Mandaddy prances around in a black, Gargamel-like robe. The band is eclectic to say the least, and “crosses the boundaries of metal, funk, reggae, jazz, rap,” according to their website.
- Gargamel’s beloved cat’s name is apparently pretty obscure knowledge — bluebuddies.com calls it the most common question they receive. In any event, the feline’s name is Azrael.
- Pulp Fiction-A Brief History of Pulp Fiction
- Classical Music-A History of Classical Music: Basic Terms
- Medieval Chant: A History of Classical Music
- There are more real-world people named “Gargamel” than one might think — according to gpeters.com, the popularity of the name ranks 3.624 out of six, which means there are apparently a lot of people out there who hate their unborn offspring.
- Gargamel has fans. A fan club, even. Adoring fans of the evil wizard type “Gargamel-4-Life :D” and similar sentiments. As of this writing, Gargamel only has 10 “likes” on his fan page, which is the sort of tough potatoes I suppose an evil wizard should expect.
- Nobody knows why Gargamel hates the Smurfs. It’s true. He really really hates them, and no one can come up with a proper explanation. There are naval-gazing conjectures by the dozen, but no solid evidence of any sort.
- Try though he might, Gargamel cannot locate the Smurf village on his own. Why? There’s a spell on it.
- Gargamel sings .